Taking care of ourselves

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Taking care of ourselves

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm

<My dad is in his 50s and he is working out to stay in shape.>
<He has a grand-daughter who isn't even 2 yet, and a grand-son that will not be born until around my next birthday.>
<He wants to live long enough to see them grow up as much as he can.>
<My wife is 27 years young and is over 370 lbs. She is at the gym right now trying to lose some of that weight.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Aargh, I already replied but it didn't work. :x

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that an active lifestyle, kept consistent over multiple years, can be just as effective as dieting hard. Once you've got in shape and your body adapts to the new energy needs, your metabolism's going to jump up and burn up your food at a faster rate- in my experience, at least. With some effort (some? actually quite a lot) it's still possible to have an ice cream habit.

But I respect anyone who gives it a decent go, since I know just how hard it is to get into shape (or get back in after a long break).

And youth is probably an advantage too. ;)
Image Image Image Image

Visser 8
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Visser 8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Master Crayak wrote:I also read that for every 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) you weigh, you should drink 20 oz of water per day.

After all, you can't "eat right and exercise" if you don't know what it means to "eat right"
Actually, what you should do is take your weight in pounds and divide by two. That is how many ouces of cold water you should drink over the course of a day. This actually works out to drinking 25 oz of water for every 50 lbs. that you weigh, that might not seem like a lot, but it really is. Some people have called this "the water diet". But really all it is is drinking the amount of water that you should drink anyway. The over-all idea is that your body has to work to heat up the water, and then the water will flush toxins out of your systum. This works out to a 200 lb. person drinking 100oz. or 13 cups of water in a day. How many of you can say that you have had that much water today?
Last edited by Visser 8 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visser 8
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Visser 8 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 am

As we all know, taking good care of ourselves should be a top priority. This involves more then just going to see a doctor at least once a year for an annual physical.
Most of us know that we need to wash our hands before every mean and after we use the bathroom, and after every time we touch anything ‘icky’, but do you know how long you should take to wash your hands?
It is advised that you scrub your hands long enough to sing the alphabet song to your self at least two or three times, and make sure that you clean under your nails.
Washing our hands is said to be the number one thing that we can do to stop the spread of germs. However there are other things that we can do as well.
A lot of research has shown that eating red meat can increase your risk of heart disease and certain cancers, especially colon cancer. Now, a large study suggests that eating a lot of those juicy burgers and steaks may actually shorten your life. NPR's Patti Neighmond looked into what that study means for meat lovers.
PATTI NEIGHMOND: This was a large study, over half a million men and women over the age of 50. They answered questions about specifics of their diet, and then researchers documented who died over the next 10 years.
They found that people who ate the most red meat - that's beef, lamb and pork -were 30 percent more likely to die from heart disease or any type of cancer.
While the study's biggest weakness is that it relied on people's memories of what they'd eaten over the previous year, epidemiologist Michael Thun, with the American Cancer Society, says the findings support what research has found over the last 20 years: Limit the amount of red meat in your diet.
Dr.MICHAEL THUN (Epidemiologist, American Cancer Society): Choose fish, poultry or beans as an alternative. And when you eat meat, eat smaller portions, select leaner cuts, and don't consider it the main course every day or even more than one time a day. Consider it a treat.
NEIGHMOND: Which doesn't mean eliminate all red meat from your diet. While that wouldn't be a bad idea, Thun says it's okay to eat meat but, like so much else, in moderation. A few times a week is probably fine. A few times a month is better. And when you do eat red meat, he says, be careful how you cook it.
Dr.THUN: When you heat meat, and particularly fat, at very high temperatures, you can produce a number of chemical groups that damage DNA.
NEIGHMOND: So the American Cancer Society recommends baking, broiling or poaching instead of frying or grilling. And if you do grill, they say, try microwaving meat first to reduce the fat content, and then put it on the grill.
Another problem the study found: processed meat, meats which are preserved, salted, smoked. The message here is simple, says nutritionist Barry Popkin from the University of North Carolina. Avoid them or at least, cut way back.
Dr.BARRY POPKIN (Nutritionist, University of North Carolina): There are a bunch of people that consume a pepperoni pizza daily or a hot dog a couple times a week, and they need to really cut that down to once a month.
NEIGHMOND: In the study, the women who ate the most red meat were more likely to die from heart disease than men who ate a lot of red meat. Researchers don't know why. Epidemiologist Michael Thun says it's important to remember the risk associated with red meat is a lot less, even in fairly large quantities, than risks that result from other lifestyle choices like, for example, smoking.
Dr.THUN: And smoking, depending on the age at which you're doing it and how long you've done it, is, say, tripling the death rate from all causes.
NEIGHMOND: Compare that tripling of risk, a 300 percent increase in death, to what the study found about red meat, a 30 percent increase.
Dr.THUN: I mean, smoking is in a class by itself, approached only, really, by moderate to severe obesity.
NEIGHMOND: Researchers say the take-home message from the study is clear. When you do eat meat, make it mostly fish or poultry. In the study, people who ate more of these meats had the lowest death rate. Researchers don't know whether that was because something in the white meat was beneficial, like omega-3 fatty acids in fish, for example, or whether eating white meat just meant people ate less red meat. Patti Neighmond, NPR News.
Copyright © 2009 National Public Radio®. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to National Public Radio. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.
Another factor is taking daily walks, a study found that walking speed appears to predict longevity in seniors.
In an analysis of nine studies involving more than 34,000 people age 65 and older, faster walking speeds were associated with living longer: Predicted years of remaining life for each age and both sexes increased as gait-speed increased, with the most significant gains after age 75.
In addition, researchers found that predicting survival based on gait speed was as accurate as predictions based on age, sex, chronic conditions, smoking history, blood pressure, body mass index and hospitalization.
"My hope is that we begin to think about ways to reflect the health and function of older people that goes beyond diseases," says lead researcher Stephanie Studenski, a geriatric physician at the University of Pittsburgh, whose analysis appears today in the Journal of American Medical Association. "Functional status (walking speed) is an important reflection of health."
Walking is a reliable tool to measure well-being, Studenski says, because it requires body support, timing and power, and places demands on the brain, spinal cord, muscles and joints, heart and lungs. Slowing down is associated with getting older. By age 80, gait speed is approximately 10% to 20% slower than in young adults, she says.
The findings can provide doctors with an inexpensive, safe and simple way of measuring performance that can help identify health problems, she says, and in many cases lead to treatments that can improve well-being, ward off disabilities and help the elderly maintain independence.
"I think it's a very useful tool, and some physicians already use it," says Evan Hadley, associate director of geriatrics at the National Institute on Aging. "It's far from universal, though. This study does show walking speed is a very strong predictor of survival."
In the study, gait speed was calculated using distance in meters and seconds. All subjects were instructed to walk at their usual pace and from a standing start. Average rate of speed was 3 feet per second (about 2 miles an hour).
During the 14-year course of the study, there were 17,528 deaths. Those who walked slower than 2 feet per second (about 1.36 miles an hour) had an increased risk of dying. Those who walked 3.3 feet per second (about 2.25 miles per hour) or faster survived longer than would be expected by age or sex alone.
Outside of the study presented in JAMA, Studenski measured the walking gait of Edward Gerjuoy, 92, a professor emeritus of physics at Pitt, to be 4.26 feet per second or about 3 miles an hour. She says his probability of living 10 more years (to age 102) is about 40%, and his median life expectancy is about seven years.
He attributes his longevity to luck. He has always tried to maintain a healthy weight, he says, but he didn't start going to a gym to work out until he was 80, and he was never athletic. Now his "workouts" involve climbing the stairs daily at the university.
"My office is on the third floor," he says. "I walk from the parking lot to my office and down to the second floor several times a day because the printer is there."
He plans to keep climbing the stairs and is encouraged by Studenski's findings.
Studenski says the researchers are not advising people to walk faster — that would be unsafe — and some slow walkers do live a long time. "A very important point is that your body chooses a walking speed that is best for you," she says.
"If a person is walking slowly, I might be able to identify what might be contributing to their problem and, in doing so, find ways to help them function better."
This next fact surprised me, but did you know that,
Going to Church, temple, mosque, synagogue or other religious services has been shown to add 2 to 3 years onto your life expectancy in a review of studies published in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine by Dr. Daniel Hall. The studies reviewed consider other explanations (like sick people can't go to services as often) and still the church goers live longer. Researchers think this is because of increased social interactionand greater sense of purpose.
A recent Mayo Clinic health letter suggested that one of the best ways to improve your chances to live longer is to recognize the value of spirituality in your life. Nurture your spirit no matter what you call your source of inspiration advised the Mayo Clinic health letter.

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Try eating meat every other day. I decided to cut back on the meat I consumed for pulse and blood pressure and unintentionally lost a few pounds. Meat isn't an enormous necessity for humans and eating it in small, limited doses will help your digestion, cholesterol intake, and weight.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

<According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ca ... th_by_rate the leading causes of death are:

Cardiovascular diseases
Infectious and parasitic diseases
Ischemic heart disease
Malignant neoplasms (cancers)
Cerebrovascular disease (Stroke)
Respiratory infections
Lower respiratory tract infections
Respiratory diseases
Unintentional injuries
HIV/AIDS
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Perinatal conditions
Digestive diseases
Diarrhea diseases
Intentional injuries (Suicide, Violence, War, etc.)
Tuberculosis
Malaria
Lung cancers
Road traffic accidents
Childhood diseases
Neuropsychiatric disorders
Diabetes mellitus
Hypertensive heart disease
Suicide
Stomach cancer
Diseases of the genitourinary system
Cirrhosis of the liver
Nephritis/nephropathy
Colorectal cancer
Liver cancer
Measles
Violence
Maternal conditions
Congenital abnormalities
Nutritional deficiencies
Breast cancer
Esophageal cancer
Inflammatory heart disease
Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
Falls
Drowning
Poisoning
Lymphomas, multiple myeloma
Rheumatic heart disease
Oral and oropharynx cancers
Fires
Pertussis
Prostate cancer
Leukemia
Peptic ulcer disease
Protein-energy malnutrition
Endocrine/nutritional disorders
Asthma
Cervical cancer
Pancreatic cancer
Tetanus
Sexually transmitted diseases excluding HIV/AIDS
Bladder cancer
Meningitis
War
Syphilis
Neoplasms other than malignant
Iron deficiency anemia
Ovarian cancer
Tropical diseases excluding malaria
Epilepsy
Musculoskeletal diseases
Hepatitis B
Parkinson's disease
Alcohol use disorders
Drug use disorders
Upper respiratory infections
Uterine cancer
Skin diseases
Melanoma and other skin cancers
Hepatitis C
Leishmaniasis
Trypanosomiasis
Benign prostatic hyperplasia

<Now that is a lot of different ways to die, but I for one am hoping to die of old age, so with that in mind how can each of these causes of death be prevented?>
<I will list each cause of death, then the advise that I can find on how to prevent it, then I will re-type all of this advise into one master list of all the things that we need to do to avoided the causes of death listed here AS BEST AS WE CAN.>
<If you follow all of this advise then you will still die, possibly by one of the ways listed here, but it will not be AS LIKELY.>

<To make things easier here is the advise that we have so far. If one of these comes up then I will just list it as “Follow advise 1a, 2d, 2i, and 9”>
<If I say ‘Read #9,999’ that means ‘read 9,999a, 9,999b, 9,999c, 9,999d…9,999x, 9,999y, and 9,999z.’>

<For those of you who have just tuned in here is a list of all the rules that we have come up with so far, with a few of them being added just now.>
1. Don't smoke, or hang out with people when they are smoking. Nothing can destroy your health faster then smoking.
a. Do not light anything on fire just so that you can inhale the fumes.
b. Don’t smoke inside, as it traps the smoke and you get extra exposure.
c. Standing within 25 feet (7.62 meters) of someone when they are smoking is not a good idea.
2. Limit you alcohol to no more then 1-2 drinks per day, no more then one day per week. With a maximum of 3 drinks on special occasions.
3. Drink at least (your weight in pounds/2 in ounces) of cold water a day.
a. Drink 25 oz of cold water for every 50 lbs. throughout the day.
b. Drink more when you are working out.
4. Wash your hands for at least 30 seconds at a time.
a. Make sure to wash your hands before doing anything with food, after dealing with money and right before you leave the bathroom.
b. Wash your hands after every time you sneeze of chough.
c. If you have to sneeze, try to sneeze into the inside of your elbow, so that you aren’t touching things with the hand that you just sneezed into.
5. Eat right
a. Eat at least 2 cups of fruits, 3.5 cups of different kinds of vegetables (include as many different colors as you can!), and 9 ounces of whole grains per day.
b. Eat no more then 6 ounces of protein rich foods per day.
c. Cut down on red meats, limit it to less then once a month or less.
d. Make sure that you get at least 1,200 mg of calcium per day.
e. or go to http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx to find out what would be right for YOU!
f. Keep your sugar intake down below 15g per day.
g. Keep your salt intake down below 1500 mg per day.
h. Never eat more food then the size of your two fists put together, in one sitting.
i. Eat foods low in fat, especially saturated fats.
j. Stay away from any food that has ‘high fructose corn syrup’ or ‘partially hydrogenated oils’ or ‘refined carbohydrates’ in it.
k. Only drink soda pop and other carbonated beverages on special rare occasions, no more then once per month.
l. Make sure that all food that you eat is kept cold until it is time to cook it, and then is cooked fully, keeping it out of ‘the danger zone’ (Between 41F and 140F) for as short a time as possible, under 2 hours.
m. Keep the amount of greasy foods, or foods with high cholesterol levels that you eat down to a minimal.
n. If you are trying to lose weight try only eating meat every other day.
o. Put lots of omega 3 fatty acids
p. Keep your caffeine levels down by not drinking coffee, sodas or caffeinated teas. It is best to keep your caffeine intake down to less then 200 milligrams (2 6-ounce cups of coffee or 4 12-ounce colas.) and never within 2 hours of when you go to bed.
q. Whenever possible, wait 3 Earth hours after eating dinner before going to bed.
r. Breakfast should be the biggest meal that you eat in a day, you MUST NOT skip it. Lunch should be smaller then breakfast, but not as big as dinner (the last meal of your day), dinner should be a very light meal.
6. Keep an active lifestyle, consistently over multiple years
a. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.
b. Go for a walk, around your block or in the park, in the sun shine and the fresh air every other day. Try to do this once in the morning and again right before bed.
c. Try running 5 miles a day.
d. Work on doing upper body workout on days that you don't walk or run.
e. Try playing a sport.
f. Jumping jacks
g. Try Kung Fu
h. Use sunscreen if you're going to be in the sun for more than 15 minutes.
7. Find out your “body mass index” (BMI) and your "Basal Metabolic Rate" (BMR)
8. Use your BMI and your BMR to find out total daily calorie needs using the “Harris Benedict Formula”.
9. Know your waist to hip ratio.
10. Get 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night. It is best if you go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. This keeps your body in the same rhythm.
11. Remember to brush your teeth after every meal and before you go to bed.
12. Floss after every time you brush your teeth.
13. Don't use the computer or TV for more than two hours at a time.
14. Spend quality time with the ones that you love.
15. Try to lower your stress levels, but don’t try to eliminate all stress from your life, some stress is good stress, and you can never be free of all stress, so trying to free yourself from all stress will just stress you out even more.
a. Try meditation every day for 30 minutes to an hour.
b. Avoid people and places that stress you out, if you can.
c. Don’t over work your self, balance work and play.
d. Remember, nobody ever died wishing they had spent more time at work!
16. Go to the doctor at least once a year, and take any medications that you are advised to take.
17. If your teeth are healthy go to the dentist about twice a year, if your teeth are not healthy then you should see a dentist more often then that.
18. Get all of the recommended shots and vaccinations.
19. Make sure that if you use a needle, that it is a clean needle.
20. If you are sick with any kind of infectious disease, quarantine yourself by staying home for a few days or weeks, and if that doesn’t seem to be enough, go to a doctor and follow whatever advise that the doctor gives you.
21. To prevent the spread of and sexually transmitted diseases, all you need to do is not have any sex until you are married, and then only with the person that you are married to.
<If you follow these rules then we can not be sure that you will live a long and healthy life, but we can tell you that your odds of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and many other illnesses will be more in your favor.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am

Also make sure to wash your hands before doing anything with food, after dealing with money and right before you leave the bathroom.
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:07 am

<I find it kind of funny, most healthcare articles have names like "Top 10 tips to beat breast cancer" or whatever the illness they are talking about is.>
<Every time I read one of these articles one of the things that they say is that if you smoke then you should quit, and if you don't, then you should never start.>
<Some time ago, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, I was in a store and I walked by the magazines.>
<Something on the cover caught my eye (as anything put on the cover of any book or magazine is designed to do), there was a red circle about the size of an American quarter on the cover of this magazine that had writing in it. It said something along the lines of "turn to page 125 to find out the #1 reason why you shouldn't quit smoking!">
<This caught my eye because I can name at least 20 illnesses that are caused be, or made worse by smoking.>
<Many of them can kill you, those that don't make living a whole lot harder, so what possible reason could a person have to keep smoking, other then that they just can't stop themselves?>
<I picked up the magazine and turned to the page, there I saw another splash of color and inside it said something to the effect of "If you quit smoking you will get pimples." I was dumb struck.>
<Almost every teenager gets pimples at one time or another, studies show that stress can make them worse, studies also show that smoking can easy your feelings of stress as they destroy your body, however according to what I have read, one of the most stressful things you can go through is quitting an addiction.>
<That means that it is true, if you do smoke and you quit then you will get pimples, but not as many as you would have had if you never started in the first place, and it will save your life.>
<What would you rather have: pimples or (breast cancer, lung cancer, heart attacks, stroke, grey hair, more wrinkles, AND diabetes.>
<Just think about that one every time you even think about lighting up.>

PeterPatrickgo
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by PeterPatrickgo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 pm

personally speaking, my body becomes worse and worse since i had my work. everyday we spent two much time on work and didn't have time to do exercise. so i just think, doing some sports could really benefit ourselevs.

How do you think about this, guys, anyone has similar thoughts as me? :oops:
Happiness is everything!

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 am

I think we all have, but none of us can find the free time to actually DO ANYTHING with those thoughts.
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.