Taking care of ourselves

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Master Crayak
Commander
Commander
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Taking care of ourselves

Post by Master Crayak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Let’s face it. Health is important to all of us, especially our own. So before you go asking your boyfriend if that dress makes you look fat, lets see what scientists have to say about it.
You have something called a BMI, also known as a “body mass index”.
It is a number that tells us just how fat you really are.

Just go to one of these websites and it will tell you what your BMI is:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or just know that BMI = kg/m2

If your BMI is less then 18.5 then you are underweight and need to eat a little more next time you have a bite to eat.
If your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9 then you are at a healthy weight and should keep up the good work.
If your BMI is 25 to 29.9 then you are overweight.
If your BMI is 30.0 or more then you are obese, and should go see a doctor right away.

The next thing we need to find out is your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)
…or
BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)
…or
BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

Now we get to play with the “Harris Benedict Formula”
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

If you want to gain body weight, you need to consume more calories than you burn. One pound of body weight is roughly equivalent to 3500 calories, so eating an extra 500 calories per day will cause you to gain one pound a week.
For optimum health, if you increase your calories to gain weight then (health permitting) gradually increase your level of physical exercise in order to maintain or increase your lean body mass. The benefits of exercise on physical and mental health are well documented and shouldn't be ignored.
There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.
If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.
An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

Once you know how many calories you should eat per day you can divide that number by 13, this number is called “P”.
Now we can find out how many calories you can eat per meal.
For breakfast you should eat 6P (6 x P) calories.
For lunch you should eat 4P calories.
For dinner you should eat 2P calories.
Throughout the day you may eat snacks totaling 1P calories.
If you should be eating 2000 calories per day then for breakfast you should eat 923 calories.
For lunch you should have 615 calories.
For diner you should have 307 calories.
That gives you 55 calories to snack on.

Your waist to hip ratio is an important tool that helps you determine your overall health risk. People with more weight around their waist are at greater risk of lifestyle related diseases such as heart disease and diabetes than those with weight around their hips. It is a simple and useful measure of fat distribution.
Use a measuring tape to check the waist and hip measurements.
- Measure your hip circumference at its widest part.
- Measure your Waist Circumference at the belly button or just above it.
The Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator indicates your probable health risks. People with more weight around the waist, face more health risks than people who carry more weight around their hips.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to- ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waist to Hip Ratio Chart
Male Health Risk Based Solely on WHR
0.95 or below Low Risk
0.96 to 1.0 Moderate Risk
1.0+ High Risk

Female
0.80 or below Low Risk
0.81 to 0.85 Moderate Risk
0.85+ High Risk
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/atheists.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... =172#comic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Or you could just stay fit. Exercise + cookies = fine. :)

And I am actually eating cookies right now.
Image Image Image Image

Master Crayak
Commander
Commander

Post by Master Crayak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:41 am

I also read that for every 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) you weigh, you should drink 20 oz of water per day.

After all, you can't "eat right and exercise" if you don't know what it means to "eat right"
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/atheists.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... =172#comic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:59 pm

You could just "eat whatever" and exercise. As long as you have enough of the various vitamins going in, fat and sugar can just be burnt off- but that would depend on just how much work your body does. Mostly, I trust my own hunger to tell me how much I need, so I'm allowed to stuff my face whenever I want. :)
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Well, you're what, 17? Assuming you have the usual teenage metabolism in overdrive, eating when you're hungry until you aren't hungry anymore will probably work. If your metabolism ever slows down, though, eating whatever and exercising won't cut it. The benefits of exercise to weight loss are actually pretty small, for a variety of reasons. Eating right is far more important, and goes beyond getting enough vitamins.

Our sense of hunger didn't really evolve for a modern era where high calorie food is readily available. It's optimised for an environment where, if you see food, then you eat every last bit of it, because you don't know when you're going to find food again. Nowadays, that results in people eating more food than they need.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Current wrote:Well, you're what, 17? Assuming you have the usual teenage metabolism in overdrive, eating when you're hungry until you aren't hungry anymore will probably work. If your metabolism ever slows down, though, eating whatever and exercising won't cut it.
I'll get back to you on that one in about 5 years. You just wait and see. ;)
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 am

Might take a bit longer. I'm 20 and my metabolism shows no sign of slowing down yet. My dad was more or less the same as me and he didn't really start to gain weight until his forties or fifties. Your genetic stock might vary.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:41 pm

In that case then, the "exercise and eat whatever" might hold up for plenty long. Once you're 40, I can't see much need to be in shape (unless you're a fan of marathons).
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Or you want to not die of heart disease in your fifties.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm

At the moment, at 10:00 in the morning, I am eating several ice creams for brunch. If I'm able to enjoy ice cream and cookies in large quantities for the next 30 years, then heart disease would be worth it. (though there should be an instant cure for that by then)
Image Image Image Image