Okami (Spoilers)

Discuss about games here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Okami (Spoilers)

Postby coryn11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Discuss this semi unheard of Masterpiece for the PS2/Wii

Probably my favorite thing is
Spoiler:
The boss fight with Ninetails
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -C. S. Lewis
coryn11
Civilian

Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Okami (Spoilers)

Postby TF. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 am

As in the Poke'mon?!?!?? If so, I want to get in on this action. But otherwise, what's this Okami thing?
Image Image Image Image
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Postby coryn11 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:59 am

...Why don't you just Google it?

But anyway

Set sometime in classical Japanese history, Ōkami combines several Japanese myths, legends and folklore to tell the story of how the land was saved from darkness by the Shinto sun goddess, named Amaterasu, who took the form of a white wolf. It features a distinct sumi-e-inspired cel-shaded visual style and the Celestial Brush, a gesture-system to perform miracles.

almost every thing in this game comes from Japanese mythology, so much so that you play as Ōkami Amaterasu, the sun god.

Regarding Ninetail's... In Japanese mythology fox's are mystical creatures, every 100 years a fox grows a new tail... up to nine, and gets more powerful with each one. It's just something poke'mon took from Japanese mythology as well, even Naruto did this.

now the game is heavily influenced by the Legend of Zelda series, except it's less about the dungeons, and more about the overwolrd,

now the Celestial Brush works like this, you freeze time, and every thing becomes black and white and looks like paper, then you draw symbols on it using the Celestial Brush, (stuff like, a strait line for a slash, a circle in the sky to make the sun come out, a crescent in the sky to make the moon come out, a loop-de-loop for wind, etc.) and this is used for most of the puzzles in the game.
Last edited by coryn11 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -C. S. Lewis
coryn11
Civilian

Postby TF. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Regarding Ninetail's... In Japanese mythology fox's are mystical creatures, every 100 years a fox grows a new tail... up to nine, and gets more powerful with each one. It's just something poke'mon took from Japanese mythology as well, even Naruto did this.

Wow, I never knew that. Ninetales makes a whole lot more sense now.
Image Image Image Image
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Postby coryn11 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 pm

In the First season of Poke'mon, theres an episode thats about a Ninetails that transforms into a girl, That also comes from japanese mythology, in which Multi-tailed foxes have the power to shapeshift (that comes in to play in this very game).
They Often turn into beautiful women to seduce men and kill them, though there is one story about a Ninetailed fox that transformed in to a woman, married a man, had children, and had a happy life.

(oh and look at Vulpix... it's a three tailed fox.) (EDIT, my mistake, its a six tailed fox, i havent seen it in a while)

There's a lot of references to japanese mythology in poke'mon... you just have to know japanese mythology to get them.

Even MAGIKARP is a reference! it's based on a story about a carp that was swimming against a strong current and, because of its persistence, it turned in to a mighty dragon! (Garados) (or something close to that...)
coryn11
Civilian

Postby TF. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 pm

There's a lot of references to japanese mythology in poke'mon... you just have to know japanese mythology to get them.

Even MAGIKARP is a reference! it's based on a story about a carp that was swimming against a strong current and, because of its persistence, it turned in to a mighty dragon! (Garados) (or something close to that...)

There are also plenty of references to real life animals and natural processes.
Image Image Image Image
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Postby darkwriter00 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am

I heart Okami, and the fight with Ninetails is my favorite boss fight too. Issun and Ammy make one adorable heroic duo... And speakin' of shared references to ancient Japanese mythology. I don't know if you've seen RahXephon or not, but Okami and this anime series both reference the tale of the Moon Princess and the Old Bamboo Cutter.

I love both of them to ribbons and I think it's neat. ^^
Must Brainstorm a new, creative signature soon. Check back later :p
darkwriter00
Aristh
Aristh

Return to Games